Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Check Cashing Store in Walnut Hills

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it seems that our friendly neighborhood Family Video Store is currently putting in a partition and will be leasing about one third of their space to a check cashing business. I have been informed that Family Video builds their stores larger than is needed and once Family Video establishes itself in a neighborhood and has a regular clientelle that they divide the store and lease a portion off to another business. I doubt that this was disclosed when they bought the property from the City of Dayton and promises were made. In our particular store this will be to a check cashing business which ultimately sends a message as to what type of neighborhood we are to become unless we do something about it. I don't think there is anything that we can do in this case but it might be time to discuss turning Wayne Ave from South Park to 10 Wilmington Place into a historic district which could put restrictions on what happens in the future. It will also offset the impact that this business is going to have on property values.

2 comments :

Kelly said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one that saw this new development as a negative. I'm now officially boycotting Family Video. They were on my hate list already by refusing to rent me videos without my husband with me. He's the one that initially used our phone number to rent from them, and they didn't believe I lived there too without him saying so.

These check cashing places advertise that they do some great service to the community by helping people out when they get in a bind. However, the horrifically high interest rates they charge make it obvious that they're preying upon their customers and therefore care nothing about perpetuating their financial difficulties.

Libertarian Jason said...

What exactly is the problem?